So I have been trying out recipes from the blog world. I trust them to be better than the recipes found on other sites.
I have to empty my fridge to defrost it. I had cauliflower, few green beans (french beans ), a brinjal (aubergine) and potato. I didn’t want to make a rice dish like pulav with it. So I searched online and found this recipe. It turned out yum🙂 I did a few tweaks to suit my cooking but main procedure was the same.
Here’s how I prepared it.
Veggies you need
1 small Cauliflower cut into florets
1 medium aubergine(brinjal)
few green beans
1 medium potato
1 medium onion
For the sauce
3/4th can of Coconut milk ( I used Pride coconut milk)
10-12 cashew nuts (or more if you have)
1 and 1/2 tspn Ginger Garlic paste
1 tspn Garam masala
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 tspn chilli powder
4 green cardamoms
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 tbspn Olive/Vegetable/Sunflower oil
Green coriander to garnish
Salt to taste
Recipe: Original recipe for the Veggie Korma can be found here.
I substituted cream or half and half for coconut milk as I had that at home. Also used a non-stick pan with lid.
1. Chop cauliflower into florets, cut potato and brinjal into cube. Cut french beans in half around (1.5 inch pieces)
2. Toast the cashew nuts in a non stick pan, till they are brown.
3. Blend the toasted cashew nuts with ginger garlic paste and 1 tbspn of water to a coarse paste. I had to add little bit more water, depends on the blender.
4. Heat oil in the non-stick pan and fry the onions till they are golden brown. Sprinkling little salt on them helps them cook faster.
5. Once the onions are sauteed add in the ground ginger-garlic-cashew paste and let it mix well. Keep on low flame throughout. As per the original recipe it’s for 5 mins. Depending on the onions and the amount being prepared this time can vary.
6. Add in cardomoms, cinammon and turmeric. Stir well.
7. Add the coconut milk. Remember to shake the coconut milk well before opening the can. Also still the milk with a spoon so that the milk is uniform and no lumps are present. Add about 3/4th cup of water and stir well. Bring this mixture to a boil on medium flame and simmer for about 5 mins.
8. Now add in garam masala, chilli powder and salt to taste. Stir well.
9. Add cauliflower and potatoes first as they need more time to cook. Cover and simmer for 5 mins. Add little bit more water if it’s getting dry.
10. Add in aubergine(brinjal) and green beans. Mix well and simmer for another 5-6 mins.
11. Simmer for few mins until the veggies are cooked.
Garnish with coriander (optional) and serve with naan/roti or rice. We had it with warmed tortilla.
This dish is cooked on a low flame which makes it very tasty. Enjoy this recipe from Dining Alone.